[IronPython] Writing new modules

Nick Bastin nbastin at opnet.com
Fri Aug 13 17:13:31 PDT 2004

I'd like to take a hack at implementing _random, but I am a bit
confused as to how it works, so I have a few questions.  Keep in mind
that I'm a bit of a C# newbie, so some of the questions might have
obvious answers to people who have more experience.  I'll also note
that I'm using Mono.

It seems as if a module is available to the interpreter merely by
existing in IronPython.Modules.  Is this correct?

There are a lot of extra names in each built-in module that don't exist
in CPython, like 'Equals', 'GetHashCode', etc.  What are these, and
where do they come from?

Where are doc strings supposed to be put?  I notice that none of the
modules seem to have them.

sys.modules appears to be completely non-functional.  Is this a matter
of just not having an implementation, or is there a technical hurdle

Similarly, simple errors generate long CLR stacks instead of the normal
python error messages.  Is this just unimplemented, or is it somewhat
complicated to get right?