[IronPython] Plans for overloads?

Martin Maly martmaly at exchange.microsoft.com
Fri Jul 15 12:25:32 PDT 2005

The overloaded function resolution (when IronPython calls .Net) is
currently being worked on. You probably read the original code in which
IronPython chooses the first callable alternative. The new code does
better finds out all methods that can be called and tries to choose the
'best fit'.

This solution is still not perfect because Python's binding ruls are
inherently different than for example C#'s and IronPython can still
arrive at an ambiguous binding. As of this very moment we are looking
into the solution that would allow program(-mer) to pinpoint the very
overloaded method to be called.

I hope this helps. The code will be available in the upcoming release.

Martin