[IronPython] Some new bugs with asssembly loading...

xtian xtian at babbageclunk.com
Thu Jan 5 02:13:22 PST 2006

I don't think that would work very well - assemblies and namespaces
are orthogonal. The Python equivalent to adding a reference to an
assembly is adding a path (or an egg or zip) to sys.path.

That's important, because an assembly can contain many different
namespaces (in the same way an egg can contain multiple packages or
modules, although it's not quite equivalent). You wouldn't necessarily
want all of the classes in an assembly to be imported into the global
namespace.

The main difference is that if you have two assemblies that expose the
same namespace, when you do a using statement for that namespace,
you'll have all of the members of the namespaces in both assemblies
available, while in Python, you'd get only the members of the module
that was first on the path. There are pluses and minuses for both
cases.

xtian