[IronPython] The Path to 1.0

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Mon Jul 10 16:38:48 PDT 2006

Hello IronPython community,

       As we drive towards our 1.0 release we've decided to have one more beta release before RC1 - leaving us in the single digits at 9 betas.  This extra release will ensure we deliver a high quality 1.0 that fixes all of the top-issues that remain in IronPython.  Currently we're planning to release the final beta later this week with the RC coming 2-3 weeks after beta 9.

       We've been actively triaging the remaining work items for IronPython 1.0 and have set the Planned for Release field appropriately on the CodePlex issue tracker (http://www.codeplex.com/WorkItem/List.aspx?ProjectName=IronPython).  Currently we are working from high priority work items (all of which will be fixed for 1.0 final) and working down from there to the medium and low priority work items.

       If there is an issue reported on CodePlex that is blocking you and it's set to either 1.01 Alpha or has a priority lower than High then there is a chance this issue will not be fixed for 1.0 final.  Our goal for 1.0 is to release a high quality release that accurately represents the Python language semantics and provides a solid support for building applications based on .NET.  If you see issues or have comments please let us know.

       Additionally as new bugs come in we will triage those and attempt to set the release and priority appropriately.  If you could let us know the importance to you of a reported bug it could assist us in making the right call to get a high quality IronPython 1.0.  As always thank you for your feedback!