[IronPython] IronPython 2.0 RC 2 on Mono

Seo Sanghyeon sanxiyn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 21:10:03 PST 2008

Currently you need Mono SVN (both to run and to compile). Using SVN
r120972 below.

The binary runs fine.

IronPython includes its own copy of ExtensionAttribute, but this
doesn't seem to work with Mono C# compiler: that is, extension methods
don't get recognized as extension methods. This causes trouble where
MetaObject is defined in Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll, and its
extensions are defined in MetaObjectExtensions in
Microsoft.Scripting.dll. My hack below copies MetaObjectExtensions and
its dependencies to Microsoft.Scripting.Core and patch it to be a
partial class instead of a static class housing extension methods. Any
better idea?

Also there are some unused files in the source distribution.

Below are steps I used to compile the source on Mono.

Download source from
http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=19841
$ unzip IronPython-2.0-Src.zip
$ cd IronPython-2.0

Some hacks...
$ svn co -r 597
https://fepy.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fepy/trunk/patches/latest
build

This deletes unused files and does copying mentioned above
$ sh build/pre.sh

Copies NAnt build file: it uses noconfig to avoid pulling System.Core.dll
$ cp build/IronPython.build Src

Patches
$ patch -p1 < build/patch-exthack
$ patch -p1 < build/patch-console