[IronPython] Curious about the development cycle and community involvement

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 00:45:32 PDT 2009

There are many (otherwise intelligent seeming) managers with just such
confused opinions about software.  Some managers at the company I worked for
until recently did not trust any open source code "because it might be
insecure."  Therefore, I was not supposed to use CPython, but IronPython was
okay because it was a Microsoft product, and therefor secure.   For the same
reason I was not supposed to use Linux. IMHO such idiots should be eternally
condemned to use Visual Basic.
  The thing is, Microsoft's lawyers could find a way to adopt submitted
software as their own intellectual property if they wanted to.   They could
make a token payment to the submitter, for example, or have the submitter
simply relinquish all rights to Microsoft.  Lawyers can do all sorts of
weird things, which make no sense to ordinary mortals.  I am married to a
lawyer and I still can't understand how she thinks. (Then again, I couldn't
understand her before she got her law degree, either.)  One thing I have
learned from her is that a good lawyer can take either side of any legal
issue and make a convincing case of it.
  I think the only answer is to keep expressing the thought to management
that the "no outside submission" policy makes the company look stupid. Then,
someday, they will tell the lawyers to fix it, and it will get fixed.
--
Vernon Cole