[IronPython] Type analysis of expression

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Mon Oct 19 07:18:46 PDT 2009

Hey all,
Stephen, I infer that Christian can't evaluate the expression yet. (If
he could, then deriving the type of the result would be trivial)
Presumably the variables in the expression don't yet have known values.

So he has an expression which cannot be evaluated, but he wants to guess
what type the return value would be if the variables in the expression
were known.

The variables in the expression do have known types. So I wonder if you
could pick a prototypical value for each variable, (eg. set all floats
to 1.0, and all integers to 1) and then evaluate the expression to see
what type the result is?

Obviously this won't work for all expressions (eg. "x / (x - 1)"), but
maybe it would work enough of the time, depending on what form your
expressions take.

Am I misunderstanding entirely, or only partially?

    Jonathan

Jonathan Hartley      Made of meat.      http://tartley.com
tartley at tartley.com   +44 7737 062 225   twitter/skype: tartley