[IronPython] Django, __unicode__, and #20366

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Feb 15 15:55:52 PST 2010

On 15/02/2010 23:53, Michael Foord wrote:
> On 15/02/2010 23:51, Jeff Hardy wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Dino Viehland<dinov at microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>> We could make % on a Unicode literal do something special much like
>>> we're doing for calls to unicode(...).  Alternately we could make %
>>> try to invoke __unicode__ before __str__ - but that would sometimes
>>> be wrong.  Probably not very often, it's hard to imagine someone
>>> defining __unicode__ and expecting __str__ to be returned with
>>> a significant difference.
>> Fixing up u"..." literals is probably the lowest impact change,
>> especially for a point release. You never know what crazy stuff people
>> might do.
>>

> Yeah - u'%s' % foo is basically equivalent to u'%s' % unicode(foo)
> anyway...
Of course if you had a *really* good type inferencer that you could use
at compile time then you could infer a few places where names *must* be
bound to unicode strings (trace unicode literals or the results of calls
to unicode) and catch a few more places to fix up as well.

Possibly a bit out of scope though...

Michael